Balance and Falls SIG
The primary purpose of the Balance and Falls SIG is to provide a forum for the increase of knowledge and quality of Physical Therapy practice in relation to older persons with balance problems and an increased risk for falling.
Resources include, but are not limited to:
- Programs at Combined Sections Meeting (CSM)
- Regular articles in GeriNotes
- Journal Club discussions
- Quarterly news postings to the web page
- OPEN ACCESS Toolkits to improve clinical management through presentation of resources and existing literature
- Annual National Falls Prevention Awareness Day Kick Off Calls and Events
- “Ask the Research Liaison”: Email us with your burning questions and get an evidence-informed answer from the BF SIG Research Liaison
- Monthly Challenge email
There are many opportunities for participation, so please consider getting involved! To participate or learn more about current SIG activities and projects, contact the SIG chair at email@example.com or check out available postings on APTA Engage.
- CHAIR: Heidi Moyer, PT, DPT
- VICE CHAIR: Haim Nesser, PT, DPT
- SECRETARY: Beth Castellini, PT
- CLINICAL LIAISONS: Stefanie Bond, PT, DPT; Anne Reilley, PT, DPT; and Heather Timothy, PT, MSPT
- RESEARCH LIAISON: Jennifer Gindoff, PT, DPT, DHSc
- EARLY CAREER PROFESSIONAL LIAISON: Holly Bennett, PT, DPT and Kimberlyn Thomas, PT, DPT
- COMMUNITY LIAISON: Tammy McHugh, PT, DPT
- KNOWLEDGE TRANSLATION LIAISON: Deborah Constantine, PT, DPT
- PTA LIAISON: Gina Henebury, PTA
- EARLY CAREER PROFESSIONAL LIAISON: Holly Bennett, PT, DPT and Kimberlyn Thomas PT, DPT
- STUDENT LIAISON: Daniel Truong, SPT
BF SIG Events
BF SIG MINUTES
BF SIG News
Greetings BFSIG Members!
Congrats on another successful NFPAW! Thanks to all of you who participated in events and advocated for falls reduction in the older adult population. Here is an overview on what the BF SIG executive team is doing to support your clinical, academic, and research needs:
- Student Liaison Sarah Roberts, SPT wrote a survey to assess the perceptions of student physical therapy professionals on how well they felt their programs prepared them to work with older adults. If you know someone who is within 12 months of graduating from their PT or PTA program or has graduated from their PT/PTA program in the last 12 months, please forward this IRB approved survey to them.
- We welcomed a new Student Liaison to our team. Everyone please welcome Daniel Truong, a first year student in the Angelo State University Doctor of Physical Therapy Program.
- Early Career Professional Liaisons Holly and Kimma are busy coordinating the last round of revisions to our neurologic toolkit! We hope to launch this by the end of the year.
- PTA Liaison Gina is busy providing presentations to PT and PTA clinicians to local SNFs in northern California to improve goal setting standards.
- Community Outreach Liaison Tammy is working to finalize the NFPAW Multi-Specialty Toolkit, coming to you by CSM 2024!
- Research Liaison Jen Gindoff continues to serve on the GeriNotes Editorial Board and has authored several articles this past year.
- The BF SIG also hosted the September APTA Geriatrics Journal Club on September 19th where member Sterling Eckert, PT, DPT. CSCS gave a case study presentation on perturbation training which was also published in the August 2023 GeriNotes.
- Clinical Liaisons Stefanie Bond, Heather Timothy, and Anne Reilley are continuing to work on the Monthly Challenge. Keep an eye out for our Special Issue for November, written by the CMH SIG Student Liaison Riley Hogge.
The APTA Geriatrics BF SIG is proud to announce that we have created a collaborative document sharing all our open access resources to help you better provide balance and falls prevention services in the community, clinic, and beyond. Please feel free to share this with anyone who might be interested.
On June 29, 2022, the APTA Geriatrics BF SIG had their Annual National Falls Prevention Awareness Day Kick Off Call to assist members in beginning to brainstorm and plan their events and efforts for the week of September 18-24. Our Clinical Liaison, Tammy McHugh, served as the creator and master of ceremonies for the event. We were honored to host the following guest speakers for the evening:
- Cathy Ciolek, APTA Geriatrics President
- Governors State University DPT Student Speaker Miguel Musngi with Student Panel Members TaShea’ Moore, Daniel Kusper, and Andres Garcia
- Deb Espy, Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy BF SIG Chair
- Eric Galvez, APTA Oncology BF SIG Membership Chair
- David Taylor, APTA Geriatrics House of Delegates Representative
- Tammy McHugh, APTA Geriatrics BF SIG Community Outreach Liaison
Top resources that were shared during the call included:
- CDC STEADI Toolkit
- APTA Geriatrics BF SIG NFPAW Toolkit
- APTA Geriatrics BF SIG Outcome Measures Toolkit
- ANPT Clinical Practice Guidelines
- ANPT Outcome Measure Recommendations
- APTA Oncology Balance and Falls Fact Sheet
- APTA Geriatrics State Advocate Website
Balance and Falls SIG Member Resources
Outcome Measure Toolkit for Geriatric Fall/Balance Assessment
The Balance and Falls Special Interest Group of the APTA Geriatrics developed this toolkit as an updated summary of current outcome measures related to balance and fall risk assessment. It is available, OPEN ACCESS here:
Falls Prevention Awareness Toolkit: A Comprehensive Guide to Professional & Community Engagement, 2nd Edition
The Falls Prevention Awareness Toolkit developed by the Balance and Falls Special Interest Group of the APTA Geriatrics is available, OPEN ACCESS below.
The resources provided within the toolkit are designed to assist clinicians and students in creating and/or improving their community-based falls prevention events by utilizing current evidence and a wide-variety of quality resources.
The Monthly Challenge
Every month, as part of an optional mailing list, we send out an email with a quick summary of a topic related to balance and falls management in older adults. Emails are sent out on the first of each month, and those that join the mailing list are able to access the last 2 years of materials as well. If you wish to join and get this information sent directly to your inbox each month for you to use same day, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
National Fall Prevention Awareness Day Resources
- 2022 APTA Geriatrics BF SIG NFPAW Kick Off Call: Slide Presentation
- National Council on Aging: Falls Prevention
- National Council on Aging: National Falls Prevention Awareness Week
- National Council on Aging: Falls Free Check Up
- CDC: STEADI Toolkit
- CDC: STEADI RX
- 2021 NFPAW APTA Geriatrics BF SIG Kick Off Call
- Virtual Falls Screening
Video: Working on Balance and Fall Prevention at Home. Developed by the NSGA/APTA Geriatrics Task Force
How to conduct virtual fall prevention
by Jennifer Nash, APTA-Geri State Advocate for Nevada Click here to Download
From the 2020 BFSIG Falls Prevention Awareness Week Brainstorming Webinar and Guest Presentation on Virtual Balance Assessment from Winston-Salem State University, July 28, 2020
Links of Interest
- CDC: MyMobility Plan
- Evidence Based Community Exercise Program Certification:
- Otago https://www.med.unc.edu/aging/cgec/exercise-program and a follow up educational opportunity: http://www.aheconnect.com/cgec/cdetail.asp?courseid=cgec10
- Matter of Balance https://www.mainehealth.org/mob
- Stay Active and Independent for Life (SAIL) http://www.pierce.ctc.edu/el/sail-register
- Stepping on https://wihealthyaging.org/stepping-on
- Tai Chi http://taichiforhealthinstitute.org/how-to-become-an-instructor-of-dr-lams-program-3/
- List of Apps:
- ClockYourself (Intervention): http://clockyourself.com.au/
- iStand Fall Prevention Exercise App: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id587885952