Balance & Falls SIG
The primary purpose of the Balance and Falls SIG is to provide a forum for the increase of knowledge and quality of Physical Therapy practice in relation to older persons with balance problems and an increased risk for falling.
- Programs at CSM
- Articles in Gerinotes or other publications
- Initiating discussions on Listserve.
- Journal Club
- Newsletters to Members
There are many opportunities for participation, so please consider getting involved! To participate or learn more about current SIG activities and projects, contact the SIG chair.
- CHAIR: Heidi Moyer, PT, DPT
- VICE CHAIR: Haim Nesser, PT, DPT
- SECRETARY: Beth Castellini, PT
- NOMINATING COMMITTEE MEMBER: Deborah Constanine, PT
- CLINICAL LIAISONS: Stefanie Bond, PT, DPT and Heather Timothy, PT, MSPT
- RESEARCH LIAISON: Jennifer Gindoff, PT, DPT
- EARLY CAREER PROFESSIONAL LIAISON: Holly Bennett, PT, DPT and Kimberlyn Thomas, PT, DPT
- COMMUNITY LIAISON: Tammy McHugh, PT, DPT
BF SIG News
On June 29th, 2022, the APTA Geriatrics BF SIG had their Annual National Falls Prevention Awareness Day Kick Off Call to assist members in beginning to brainstorm and plan their events and efforts for the week of September 18-24. Our Clinical Liaison, Tammy McHugh, served as the creator and master of ceremonies for the event. We were honored to host the following guest speakers for the evening:
- Cathy Ciolek, APTA Geriatrics President
- Governors State University DPT Student Speaker Miguel Musngi with Student Panel Members TaShea’ Moore, Daniel Kusper, and Andres Garcia
- Deb Espy, Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy BF SIG Chair
- Eric Galvez, APTA Oncology BF SIG Membership Chair
- David Taylor, APTA Geriatrics House of Delegates Representative
- Tammy McHugh, APTA Geriatrics BF SIG Community Outreach Liaison
Top resources that were shared during the call included:
- CDC STEADI Toolkit
- APTA Geriatrics BF SIG NFPAW Toolkit
- APTA Geriatrics BF SIG Outcome Measures Toolkit
- ANPT Clinical Practice Guidelines
- ANPT Outcome Measure Recommendations
- APTA Oncology Balance and Falls Fact Sheet
- APTA Geriatrics State Advocate Website
Hi, I’m Pooja Mehta, I have been a Physical Therapist in India since 2007 and in the USA since 2010. I have worked in Outpatient, SNF, and home care settings and am a Board Certified Clinical Specialist in Geriatric Physical Therapy (GCS) as well as a Certified Exercise Expert for Older Adults (CEEAA). I am also a current task force member on the BF SIG Neuro Toolkit. In 2006, I attended a lecture by a physician in India who quoted, “A physician gives a year to the patient’s life; but a therapist gives life to that year. “ This quote has never left me and it continues to impact the work I do today. Over the years I have come to understand patient and older adult care in a much better way than I did in my early clinical years. I have seen older adults thrive on challenges in balance, strength, and endurance. Accomplishing their goals, performing an activity they couldn’t perform or had difficulty performing increases their self-esteem and gives them a sense of self-worth and validation. Therapists must manage their patients as a whole; identifying problems which may be out of their scope of practice, providing necessary referrals and recommendations to other experts and hence provide optimal care. Caring with our head, heart, and hands we bring our best forward to the patient and profession.
Greetings BF SIG Members,
The executive committee and other volunteers of the BF SIG are hard at work behind the scenes on several projects including the following:
- Early Career Professional Liaisons Holly and Kimma led the first meeting to coordinate our volunteers in starting to work on the BF SIG Neuro Toolkit.
- Research Liaison Jennifer replied to a member question on mobility programs and fall risk. Keep an eye out in GeriNotes for her response!
- Community Outreach Liaison Tammy is hard at work coordinating and creating the NFPAW Kick Off Call with a multitude of speakers including DPT students, leaders from the Oncology and Neurology section BF SIGs, APTA House of Delegates, and others.
- Secretary Beth will be leading the case study discussion for the September 20th APTA Geriatrics Journal Club. Check out the case ahead of time in GeriNotes.
- Clinical Liaisons Heather and Stefanie are hard at work continuing to create quality content for the BF SIG Monthly Challenge. We are also looking for a new Clinical Liaison to join our team, check out APTA Engage for details.
- CSM 2023 programming was submitted by Chair Heidi; Vice-Chair Haim; Clinical Liaisons Stefanie and Heather; and Early Career Professional Liaisons Holly and Kimma.
- Several articles are in the cue for GeriNotes including community fall prevention efforts led by DPT students form Governors State University, clinical balance and falls management in older adults through the perspective of an early career professional, as well as a case study in using the 4 square step test following hip fracture.
Check back in September for additional updates from quarter 3!
BF SIG Events
BF SIG Newsletters
BF SIG MINUTES
Balance and Falls SIG Member Resources
How to conduct virtual fall prevention
by Jennifer Nash, APTA-Geri State Advocate for Nevada Click here to Download
VIDEO: WORKING ON BALANCE AND FALL PREVENTION AT HOME, DEVELOPED BY THE NSGA/APTA GERIATRICS TASK FORCE.
From the 2020 BFSIG Falls Prevention Awareness Week Brainstorming Webinar and Guest Presentation on Virtual Balance Assessment from Winston-Salem State University, July 28, 2020
Outcome Measure Toolkit for Geriatric Fall/Balance Assessment
The Balance and Falls Special Interest Group of the APTA Geriatrics developed this toolkit as an updated summary of current outcome measures related to balance and fall risk assessment. It is available, OPEN ACCESS here:
Falls Prevention Awareness Toolkit: A Comprehensive Guide to Professional & Community Engagement, 2nd Edition
The Falls Prevention Awareness Toolkit developed by the Balance and Falls Special Interest Group of the APTA Geriatrics is available, OPEN ACCESS below.
The resources provided within the toolkit are designed to assist clinicians and students in creating and/or improving their community-based falls prevention events by utilizing current evidence and a wide-variety of quality resources.
- Lusardi, et. al. Determining risk of future falls in community-dwelling older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis using posttest probability. Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy. http://journals.lww.com/jgpt/Abstract/publishahead/Determining_Risk_of_Future_Falls_in.99800.aspx
- Phelon, et. al. Assessment and Management of Fall Risk in Primary Care Settings. Med Clin North Am. 2015. Mar; 99(2):281-293. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4707663/
- Renfro, et.al. Fall Risk Among Older Adult High-Risk Populations: a Review of Current Screening and Assessment Tools. Curr Geri Rep (2016) 5:160–171 https://geriatricspt.org/special-interest-groups/balance-falls/BFSIGFallRiskArticle.pdf
The Monthly Challenge
Every month, we send out an email to interested members with a quick summary of an aspect of balance and falls management. This email thread allows members to have topic specific communication as well as share experiences/ideas. We will also be posting the materials to our google drive which you can access at any time. Emails are sent out at the beginning of each month. If you wish to join the email chain and get the information before anyone else, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
National Fall Prevention Awareness Day Resources
- Community Powerpoint: Take a Stand to Prevent Falls- AOTA/APTA Geriatrics Fall Risk Presentation
- Toolkit for National Fall Prevention Awareness Day: https://www.ncoa.org/healthy-aging/falls-prevention/falls-prevention-awareness-day/
- Letters for recruiting other health care providers:
- Educational Material for other healthcare providers: FREE COURSES
- Falls Prevention Awareness: Advanced Training for Home Health Aides: http://www.aheconnect.com/cgec/cdetail.asp?courseid=cgec5 or http://phinational.org/workforce/resources/phi-curricula/fall-prevention-awareness
- Falls Prevention for Home Health Nurses: http://www.aheconnect.com/cgec/cdetail.asp?courseid=cgec1
- Preparing Community Health Workers and Promotores to Prevent and Reduce Falls Among Older Adults: http://www.aheconnect.com/cgec/cdetail.asp?courseid=cgec6
Links of Interest:
- Home Safety for Patients and Caregivers: https://www.seniorliving.org/research/injury-prevention-guide/
- Canadian Fall Prevention Community of Practice: http://www.fallsloop.com/
- National Council on Aging: https://www.ncoa.org/healthy-aging/falls-prevention/
- CDC STEADI: http://www.cdc.gov/steadi/
Resources for your ToolBox:
- VEDA – Vestibular Disorders Association: Vestibular.org
- STEADI Powerpoint: STEADI Powerpoint
- STEADI Free Webinar: http://www.cdc.gov/steadi/webinar.html
- Stand TallTM DVD: Stand TallTM DVD
- Evidence Based Community Exercise Program Certification:
- Otago: https://www.med.unc.edu/aging/cgec/exercise-program and a follow up educational opportunity: http://www.aheconnect.com/cgec/cdetail.asp?courseid=cgec10
- Matter of Balance: https://www.mainehealth.org/mob
- Stay Active and Independent for Life (SAIL): http://www.pierce.ctc.edu/el/sail-register
- Stepping on: https://wihealthyaging.org/stepping-on
- Tai Chi http://taichiforhealthinstitute.org/how-to-become-an-instructor-of-dr-lams-program-3/
- List of Apps:
- STEADI App: http://www.evidenceinmotion.com/products/fall-prevention-app/
- ClockYourself (Intervention): http://clockyourself.com.au/
- Gait Speed App: http://www.gaitspeedapp.com/
- iStand Fall Prevention Exercise App: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id587885952