Global Health for Aging Adults SIG
The goals of the GHAA SIG are to increase awareness of the practice of geriatric physical therapy across the globe, advance geriatric PT practice globally, encourage international clinician and student activities, and facilitate global partnerships.
Welcome to The APTA Geriatrics Global Health for Aging Adults Special Interest Group (GHAA SIG) page!
Our SIG is dedicated to enhancing the health and well-being of older adults through networking and collaboration among geriatric PTs and researchers from various countries.
We are seeking to connect with you to share your ideas and experiences. We have been growing our young SIG through several projects, focusing on communication with our members and other PTs/PTAs around the world. The GHAA Newsletter is a fabulous tool launched last year, to keep us connected as well as to encourage member involvement to submit stories about their experiences. You can find out the latest version using the link on this page.
Thank you to our members who joined us in March for the annual GHAA sponsored Journal Club. Please find the link under SIG news to view the event if you missed it live. Additionally, we held a SIG member meeting in March to share the SIGs goals/workplan for 2022. You can view a recording of the meeting, found on the webpage under GHAA SIG Events.
Since COVD we have all learned to connect remotely using virtual platforms. The GHAA SIG would like to embrace this ability to connect and invite all members to our monthly SIG meetings. You can find the monthly schedule in the Events section of the webpage. Feel free to join us as you can to share your talents and interests. Current projects that we are working on are:
- To encourage the development and publication of research in the field of global health for aging adults through a Research Task force. If you are interested in becoming involved with this task force, please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To provide networking/collaboration opportunities for members, including students. We are actively seeking students to lead a GHAA student task force. If you are interested, please email email@example.com.
- To provide an opportunity for information and experience exchange among PTs and PTAs via the GHAA newsletter, annual Journal Club, member meetings, and CSM.
Please continue to check out new features on the website as we strive to provide news, stories, blogs, videos, and more to support your goals of being connected to international Geriatric Physical Therapy professionals.
Thank you for being a member of the GHAA SIG.
GHAA SIG Leadership Team
- CHAIR: Shweta Subramani, PT, MHS
- VICE CHAIR: Jennifer Cruz Garcia Youssef, PT, DPT
- SECRETARY: Becca D. Jordre, PT, DPT
- IPTOP REPRESENTATIVE: Ka-Chun “Joseph” Siu
Global Health for Aging Adults SIG Member Resources
- A guide for physical therapists when promoting the needs and interests of older people in broader contexts
- Guidance for the physical therapist clinician to use during their period of clinical intervention/treatment with an older person
- As an educational tool for senior staff when teaching junior staff and students about the management of the older person