Student PT & PTA Interests
Welcome to the Student page!
Look around this page to see all that APTA Geriatrics has to offer for students! We are currently expanding. Check out our student leadership, student spotlight, student newsletter, resources, and social media to find out where you best fit here! There is a spot for everyone so do not worry, we can help you find where you belong! Check out the video from APTA Geriatrics President who will update you on all we have to offer for students and what it means to be a member at APTA Geriatrics.
Special Interest Groups
Want to get involved but not sure where to start? Get connected to one of our SIGS!
What is SIG?? SIG stands for Special Interest Group. A SIG is designed to connect a group of people who are interested in a specific subsection within a larger organization. Joining a SIG in APTA Geriatrics, allows you to be a part of promoting the advancement, sharing knowledge and developing excellence in a certain area of older adult care.
When joining a SIG you can be as involved as you want! You can be a passive member and take advantage of all the resources that the group is producing OR you can be an active member and get involved in the current research or leadership roles! Utilize the SIG’s to find out what you love most about treating older adults!
Here at APTA Geriatrics we have six SIG groups. Click here to learn more about each!
- Balance and Falls
- Bone Health
- Cognitive and Mental Health
- Health Promotion and Wellness
- Global Health for Ageing Adults
- Residency and Fellowship
Still not sure what to do next? Reach out to our student task force via email email@example.com and let them know more about you and what you love so they can help you find your place here!
Student Created Geriatrics Brochures
Is Your Diet Balanced?
When Do I Need to Have My Knee Replaced?
Living with Osteoporosis
Benefits of Pet Therapy
Aquatic Therapy for Ageing Adults
Strengthening for Seniors
Sarcopenia in the Ageing Adult
Living Healthy After Menopause
Preparing for a Joint Replacement with Pre-operative Rehabilitation
Exercise with Heart
Stroke Risk Factors
Peparing for Knee Replacement
Let’s Prevent Osteoporosis
Vision and Aging
Dehydration is Bad.
Foot Care 101
Managing Multiple Medications
Exercise and Cardiovascular Health
Foot Care With Diabetes
Deep Vein Thrombosis
Annual Student Video Contest
Each year, APTA Geriatrics supports a consumer video contest in which PT and PTA students submit original videos on topics related to physical therapy and the ageing adult. Judging takes place prior to the Combined Section Meeting which occurs in February. Winners will have their videos posted to the APTA Geriatrics YouTube channel and website.
- Please include this contest in your syllabi plan:
Eligibility: The student contributor(s) must be enrolled in a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant program when they submit their video.
- Submissions are accepted January 1 – November 15 for consideration at the Combined Sections Meeting (CSM) the following January or February. See “Submission” section for more information.
- All entries must be a digital video
- The length of the video should not exceed 2 minutes
- All entries should begin with a “title screen” that includes the following information:
- Lead producer’s names
- School name
- School city, state
- Title of video
- All information in the video must be cited, giving credit to the original source.
- No copyrighted materials (music, images, etc.) may be used for this contest unless you own the copyright or have a license to use the material for this contest. Written permission must be obtained and provided upon request for all copyrighted materials.
- All entries must be submitted in English, if entries are not in English they must include English subtitles.
- All submitted videos become the property of the APTA Geriatrics. Winning and honorable mention videos will be posted on the website and social media pages.
- The top three entrants will receive a year’s student membership to APTA Geriatrics.
- Email a URL link of the entrant video to Dana Murn, CAE at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline for entries is November 15
- Please include the following information in your email:
- Subject: APTA Geriatrics Student Video Contest
- URL link of video. Actual video files will be requested from finalists ONLY.
- Contact information of all students who worked on the video (names and email addresses).
- If the video was created for class, please include the professor’s name and email.
- Inspiration/Creativity: How interesting is the video to watch?
- Appropriateness of Topic: How relevant is the topic selected for aging adults?
- Accuracy: Is the information presented accurate and free of bias?
- Clarity: How well does the video explain the concept? (Consumer friendly language free of medical terminology and jargon)
- Quality: What is the overall quality of production (including visual and sound elements)
- Rules: Did the video comply with contest rules?