Balance & Falls SIG
The primary purpose of the Balance and Falls SIG is to provide a forum for the increase of knowledge and quality of Physical Therapy practice in relation to older persons with balance problems and an increased risk for falling.
RESOURCES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Programs at Combined Sections Meeting (CSM)
- Regular articles in GeriNotes
- Journal Club Discussions
- Quarterly news postings to the web page
Newsletters to Members
- OPEN ACCESS Toolkits to improve clinical management through presentation of resources and existing literature
- Annual National Falls Prevention Awareness Day Kick Off Calls and Events
- “Ask the Research Liaison”: Email us with your burning questions and get an evidence-informed answer from the BF SIG Research Liaison
- Monthly Challenge Mailing List
There are many opportunities for participation, so please consider getting involved! To participate or learn more about current SIG activities and projects, contact the SIG chair at email@example.com or check out available postings on APTA Engage.
- CHAIR: Heidi Moyer, PT, DPT
- VICE CHAIR: Haim Nesser, PT, DPT
- SECRETARY: Beth Castellini, PT
- NOMINATING COMMITTEE MEMBER: Deborah Constanine, PT
- CLINICAL LIAISONS: Stefanie Bond, PT, DPT and Heather Timothy, PT, MSPT
- RESEARCH LIAISON: Jennifer Gindoff, PT, DPT
- EARLY CAREER PROFESSIONAL LIAISON: Holly Bennett, PT, DPT and Kimberlyn Thomas, PT, DPT
- COMMUNITY LIAISON: Tammy McHugh, PT, DPT
BF SIG News
Imagine if you could help your patient reduce their risk of falling by teaching them to use a simple ABC system prior to them beginning a come-to-standing or walking task. Teaching them how and why to Align, do conscious Breathing, and focus or Center on the activity they are about to do is one of several “mind-body” approaches that may help them prepare mentally and physically for any motor activity
Try it yourself. Take a few moments to become conscious of your posture, slow your breathing down and become present to the moment. Use the moment to visualize yourself coming to standing, with support if necessary. You stop in an erect standing position. Then, before you start to walk, say to yourself, or out loud, “I am tall, strong and confident” as you proceed with the activity. You have just used The ABC system, in combination with visualization and positive self-talk to prepare your mind and body for safer and more efficient functioning.
Here’s a strategy helpful for patients paralyzed with “fear of falling.” I have had success by saying to them, “Yes, the fear is there, but tell it that you are not going to let it control you! You are going to control it!” This, in conjunction with the positive self-talk described above, has seemed to have an empowering effect on how patients progress with their gait and balance activities. The more any of us healthcare workers learn how to integrate mind-body techniques into our work, the safer and more effective our treatments will be, for our patients and ourselves! It can be as easy as ABC!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
C. Vicki Gold, PT, MA is a retired physical therapist, currently living in Lenoir, North Carolina. Her 50-plus years in the profession have included work in several academic and multiple clinical settings. She is a former Director of the Physical Therapist Program at LaGuardia Community College in New York City. Ms. Gold’s work is based on her background with Yoga, Pilates, Tai Chi, Alexander and Feldenkrais Techniques. She is a graduate of Sara Meeks, PT Seminars and has studied with Margaret Knott, PT (PNF) and Berta Bobath, PT (NDT) among others.
Vicki is the owner of Thera-Fitness and creator of The ABC System for Mind-Body Fitness and Well-Being. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Greetings APTA Geriatrics BF SIG Members,
The executive committee and other volunteers of the BF SIG are hard at work behind the scenes on several projects including the following:
- Early Career Professional Liaisons Holly and Kimma are continuing to work on their Neuro-Geri Balance and Falls Toolkits to provide clinicians with fast and easy access to clinical tools to address concerns in older adults with neurologic impairments.
- Research Liaison Jennifer will have her response to mobility programs in LTCFs published in the November Focus Edition of GeriNotes. She eagerly awaits new clinical questions to die deeper into!
- Community Outreach Liaison Tammy coordinated a FABULOUS National Falls Prevention Awareness Day Kick Off Call in June with speakers from the BF SIGs of APTA Geriatrics, APTA Oncology, and Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy as well as the APTA Geriatrics State Advocates and a student panel! You can catch the recording on our webpage.
- Secretary Beth led an amazing Journal Club Case Study discussion on September 20th about the use of the 4 stage balance test in a patient who might not typically be considered for dynamic multi-directional balance training. A big thanks to Jen for helping to get that case study print-ready for the August GeriNotes!
- Clinical Liaisons Heather and Stefanie are hard at work continuing to create quality content for the BF SIG Monthly Challenge.
- 2 programs were accepted from the BF SIG for APTA CSM 2023 in San Diego, CA: Solving the Balance Problem in Medically Complex Patients across the Lifespan (authored by Rachel Hac, Debbie Espy, and Heidi Moyer) and Joining the Fight for Parkinson’s: Combating Disease Progression Through Evidence-Informed Interventions Across the Continuum (authored by Haim, Heather, and Stefanie). Come check us out!
- Vice-Chair Haim was interviewed for an Article in APTA Magazine titled “A Closer Look at Falls Prevention.” Thank you for representing us well!
- The BF SIG Tri-Alliance Team of Geri, Neuro, and Oncology has officially launched their combined-efforts National Falls Prevention Awareness Day Campaign! Check out APTA Geriatrics social media for more details and pledge to participate in #NFPAW from September until October 8th on the PT Day of Service website!
Hope you enjoyed our twitter take over to kick off #NFPAW!
Check back in December for additional updates from quarter 4 and important pre-CSM announcements!
The APTA Geriatrics BF SIG is proud to announce that we have created a collaborative document sharing all our open access resources to help you better provide balance and falls prevention services in the community, clinic, and beyond. Please feel free to share this with anyone who might be interested.
On June 29th, 2022, the APTA Geriatrics BF SIG had their Annual National Falls Prevention Awareness Day Kick Off Call to assist members in beginning to brainstorm and plan their events and efforts for the week of September 18-24. Our Clinical Liaison, Tammy McHugh, served as the creator and master of ceremonies for the event. We were honored to host the following guest speakers for the evening:
- Cathy Ciolek, APTA Geriatrics President
- Governors State University DPT Student Speaker Miguel Musngi with Student Panel Members TaShea’ Moore, Daniel Kusper, and Andres Garcia
- Deb Espy, Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy BF SIG Chair
- Eric Galvez, APTA Oncology BF SIG Membership Chair
- David Taylor, APTA Geriatrics House of Delegates Representative
- Tammy McHugh, APTA Geriatrics BF SIG Community Outreach Liaison
Top resources that were shared during the call included:
- CDC STEADI Toolkit
- APTA Geriatrics BF SIG NFPAW Toolkit
- APTA Geriatrics BF SIG Outcome Measures Toolkit
- ANPT Clinical Practice Guidelines
- ANPT Outcome Measure Recommendations
- APTA Oncology Balance and Falls Fact Sheet
- APTA Geriatrics State Advocate Website
BF SIG Events
BF SIG MINUTES
Balance and Falls SIG Member Resources
Outcome Measure Toolkit for Geriatric Fall/Balance Assessment
The Balance and Falls Special Interest Group of the APTA Geriatrics developed this toolkit as an updated summary of current outcome measures related to balance and fall risk assessment. It is available, OPEN ACCESS here:
Falls Prevention Awareness Toolkit: A Comprehensive Guide to Professional & Community Engagement, 2nd Edition
The Falls Prevention Awareness Toolkit developed by the Balance and Falls Special Interest Group of the APTA Geriatrics is available, OPEN ACCESS below.
The resources provided within the toolkit are designed to assist clinicians and students in creating and/or improving their community-based falls prevention events by utilizing current evidence and a wide-variety of quality resources.
The Monthly Challenge
Every month, as part of an optional mailing list, we send out an email with a quick summary of a topic related to balance and falls management in older adults. Emails are sent out on the first of each month, and those that join the mailing list are able to access the last 2 years of materials as well. If you wish to join and get this information sent directly to your inbox each month for you to use same day, email us at email@example.com .
National Fall Prevention Awareness Day Resources
- 2022 APTA Geriatrics BF SIG NFPAW Kick Off Call: Video and Minutes
- National Council on Aging: Falls Prevention
- National Council on Aging: National Falls Prevention Awareness Week
- National Council on Aging: Falls Free Check Up
- Consent and Release Sample 1
- Consent and Release Sample 2
- CDC: STEADI Toolkit
- CDC: STEADI RX
- 2021 NFPAW APTA Geriatrics BF SIG Kick Off Call
- Virtual Falls Screening
- Community Powerpoint: Take a Stand to Prevent Falls- AOTA/APTA Geriatrics Fall Risk Presentation
- Toolkit for National Fall Prevention Awareness Day: https://www.ncoa.org/healthy-aging/falls-prevention/falls-prevention-awareness-day/
- Letters for recruiting other health care providers:
- Educational Material for other healthcare providers: FREE COURSES
- Falls Prevention Awareness: Advanced Training for Home Health Aides: http://www.aheconnect.com/cgec/cdetail.asp?courseid=cgec5 or http://phinational.org/workforce/resources/phi-curricula/fall-prevention-awareness
- Falls Prevention for Home Health Nurses: http://www.aheconnect.com/cgec/cdetail.asp?courseid=cgec1
- Preparing Community Health Workers and Promotores to Prevent and Reduce Falls Among Older Adults: http://www.aheconnect.com/cgec/cdetail.asp?courseid=cgec6
How to conduct virtual fall prevention
by Jennifer Nash, APTA-Geri State Advocate for Nevada Click here to Download
VIDEO: WORKING ON BALANCE AND FALL PREVENTION AT HOME, DEVELOPED BY THE NSGA/APTA GERIATRICS TASK FORCE.
From the 2020 BFSIG Falls Prevention Awareness Week Brainstorming Webinar and Guest Presentation on Virtual Balance Assessment from Winston-Salem State University, July 28, 2020
Links of Interest:
- CDC: MyMobility Plan
- Evidence Based Community Exercise Program Certification:
- Otago https://www.med.unc.edu/aging/cgec/exercise-program and a follow up educational opportunity: http://www.aheconnect.com/cgec/cdetail.asp?courseid=cgec10
- Matter of Balance https://www.mainehealth.org/mob
- Stay Active and Independent for Life (SAIL) http://www.pierce.ctc.edu/el/sail-register
- Stepping on https://wihealthyaging.org/stepping-on
- Tai Chi http://taichiforhealthinstitute.org/how-to-become-an-instructor-of-dr-lams-program-3/
- List of Apps:
- ClockYourself (Intervention): http://clockyourself.com.au/
- Gait Speed App: http://www.gaitspeedapp.com/
- iStand Fall Prevention Exercise App: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id587885952