Greetings BFSIG Members!
Congrats on another successful NFPAW! Thanks to all of you who participated in events and advocated for falls reduction in the older adult population. Here is an overview on what the BF SIG executive team is doing to support your clinical, academic, and research needs:
- Student Liaison Sarah Roberts, SPT wrote a survey to assess the perceptions of student physical therapy professionals on how well they felt their programs prepared them to work with older adults. If you know someone who is within 12 months of graduating from their PT or PTA program or has graduated from their PT/PTA program in the last 12 months, please forward this IRB approved survey to them.
- We welcomed a new Student Liaison to our team. Everyone please welcome Daniel Truong, a first year student in the Angelo State University Doctor of Physical Therapy Program.
- Early Career Professional Liaisons Holly and Kimma are busy coordinating the last round of revisions to our neurologic toolkit! We hope to launch this by the end of the year.
- PTA Liaison Gina is busy providing presentations to PT and PTA clinicians to local SNFs in northern California to improve goal setting standards.
- Community Outreach Liaison Tammy is working to finalize the NFPAW Multi-Specialty Toolkit, coming to you by CSM 2024!
- Research Liaison Jen Gindoff continues to serve on the GeriNotes Editorial Board and has authored several articles this past year.
- The BF SIG also hosted the September APTA Geriatrics Journal Club on September 19th where member Sterling Eckert, PT, DPT. CSCS gave a case study presentation on perturbation training which was also published in the August 2023 GeriNotes.
- Clinical Liaisons Stefanie Bond, Heather Timothy, and Anne Reilley are continuing to work on the Monthly Challenge. Keep an eye out for our Special Issue for November, written by the CMH SIG Student Liaison Riley Hogge.